IEC publishes annual report:
Get ready for your financial journey
22 June 2016
The Investor Education Centre (IEC) published its Annual Report 2015-16 today.
The report summarises IEC’s performance in advancing financial literacy and provides pointers to achieve a fulfilling financial journey throughout life.
"As reflected in the annual report’s title, most important events in life require careful financial planning. Having a plan not only helps you prepare for the unexpected, but also helps you to work towards the goals you want to achieve. As an organisation that is dedicated to raising the level of financial literacy in Hong Kong, we aim to make financial learning simple and enjoyable,” said Professor Leonard Cheng, Chairman of the IEC.
"We are grateful for the invaluable support and contributions from our stakeholders, including members of the Executive Committee, to help us to advance our financial education goals," added Professor Cheng.
Highlights of the IEC’s achievements in the past year included:
- Introduction of an independent and impartial financial education platform The Chin Family to provide free information, resources and programmes;
- Roll out the Hong Kong Strategy for Financial Literacy in establishing a framework for actions to be taken across various sectors of the community;
- Launch of the Hong Kong Financial Competency Framework to identify competence elements for organisations to utilise when developing their financial education initiatives;
- A research grant to stimulate wider interest in financial literacy research among academics and financial education practitioners；
- A multimedia campaign Figure out your Finances to promote a suite of interactive tools to the public for financial health checking and retirement planning; and
- Collaboration with the Housing Authority to alert owners of government subsidised housing units to borrowing traps.
"The IEC has made significant progress and achieved a great deal throughout the year. With support from the government, finance, education and community sectors, we will continue to develop resources for the public so that they can be more knowledgeable and empowered to deal with the various financial challenges,” said Mr David Kneebone, General Manager of the IEC.
Photos and captions:
- Image of the IEC Annual Report 2015-16 theme "Get ready for your financial journey".