IEC publishes annual report: Keeping Your Financial Goals In Focus
27 June 2018
The Investor Education Centre (IEC) published its Annual Report 2017-18 today.
The report summarises the IEC's performance in advancing financial literacy and reflects our belief that the key to a better future is to plan today, set financial goals and to stay focused to achieve them.
"With an aging population, and a financial market that is constantly innovating and transforming, the need for financial planning and financial education in Hong Kong has never been greater," said Dr Kelvin Wong, Chairman of the IEC.
"The IEC is dedicated to improving financial literacy across the local community, and we do so through widespread mass awareness campaigns and via segment-targeted education programmes."
Some key highlights of our achievements in the past year include:
- A public education campaign with the Financial Services and the Treasury Bureau to explain the features and potential risks of Initial Coin Offerings (ICOs) and cryptocurrencies, in response to the growing interest and speculation in these instruments
- The Hong Kong Money Month campaign held in March 2018. With the theme Plan For Your Future, over 90 events and initiatives were made available to students, working adults, investors, retirees and vulnerable groups for free
- Introduction of the Financial Education Champion award scheme to recognise the efforts of organisations in the provision of quality financial education initiatives in Hong Kong
- Studies on Hong Kong investors to understand their knowledge and perceptions on various investment products, as well as their investing attitudes and behaviours
Mr David Kneebone, General Manager of the IEC said, "We have crossed our fifth anniversary since the establishment of the IEC and it is the opportune moment to review our past work and chart our future moving forward. We would not have succeeded without the support from our stakeholders, and thus I would encourage more sectors to join us in our mission to provide more financial learning opportunities to collectively improve the financial well-being of the Hong Kong population."
An online version of the annual report is available on the IEC website at www.hkiec.hk.
Photos and captions:
- Image of the IEC Annual Report 2017-18 theme "Keeping Your Financial Goals In Focus".